“The Sermon in the Mount” is clearly the most famous sermon ever preached. In one sitting, Jesus told those following him, and thousands more, exactly what was on God’s mind. He was direct, He was authentic and He was reaching out, arms open wide, to show the world that God loved them and wanted to be in relationship with them. To start he wanted to talk about life conditions–the Beatitudes.
The 9 Beatitudes–show us at places in life where God needs to be present…
- Poor in spirit–those who are poor, their’s is God’s kingdom
- Those who Mourn–the grief filled folk, they will be comforted
- The Meek–those that humbly submit to God’s leadership–they will inherit the earth!
- Those that hunger and thirst after Righteousness–Basically, those that crave God’s way–they will be satisfied (They will get it!!)
- The Merciful–Those that are gracious, kind and giving and selfless–that how they will be treated by God!
- The Pure in Heart–Those who simply have no alternative motive, they are and say the truth–They will see God!
- The Peacemakers–Those that strive for unity and calm the waters, they do not stir them up-They will be called God’s Sons(of those whom God esteems as sons, whom he loves, protects and benefits above others)
- Those Persecuted for righteousness sake–like the poor, they are ready for Heaven and are positioned to run it.
- Those Persecuted for following Christ–like the prophets of old, their inheritance will be great!
Jesus wants us to understand that following Him will not track with the world’s model for success. We have to be willing to hold on loosely to life, to things and to our own wants and desires. If we are willing to do that, then what lies ahead will be awesome, eternal and God Blessed, it simply does not get any better than that!
God Bless You
Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.