We call them buttons. They are the things people do that drive us nuts. The very thought of them causes anger to boil up inside of us. Usually they are done by someone close to us and we say, “They are just pushing your buttons!” Well there are things men do that really push God’s buttons!!!
The seven detestable sins have been the center of books, plays and movies. They are not hidden in the Bible, nor are they placed in the category for some politically correct reason. They sicken God because they are the very things that prevent men from being in relationship with him.
- Haughty Eyes–That looking at the world as if it is inferior and somehow owes one allegiance.
- Lying tongue–Deceit takes away the very ability for us to trust or be trusted by men or by God
- Hands that shed innocent blood—the violent and murderous-have no regard for life at any stage or place in the world
- Heart that devise wicked schemes—The conspirator, one whom if they would simply use the intelligence given them by God to know him and serve others would be a superstar of the faith.
- Feet that are quick to rush to evil—The persons for whom a right choice, a selfless act or an honest deed seems wholly inappropriate.
- A false witness—That person whose opinion, testimony and very belief system is purchasable for the right price.
- One who stirs up conflict in the community—The person always at the center of any fight, argument or protest—but, whom is glad to play both sides against each other to somehow be the hero.
In a word, God hates all those sins. They play to the very heart of selfishness and self-absorption. Those who practice those sins always end up in trouble. They may seem at points to have it together, but, in the end, they are broken, lonely bitter people whose legacy is detestable and whose lives are worth little to others.
God Bless You
There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, 19 a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.